Major Corridors within the region include:
Major East-West Corridor
I-80, I-84, connecting the region to New York City and northern New Jersey
Major North-South Corridor
I-81, I-476, and I-380, connecting the region to Harrisburg and Philadelphia
Major transit providers in the region include, the County of Lackawanna Transit System (COLTS), Luzerne County Transit Authority (LCTA) and Hazleton Public Transit (HPT) which provide fixed route and paratransit service to the region.
Commercial and freight air service is addressed by the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport located in Avoca, Luzerne County. Jointly owned and operated by Lackawanna and Luzerne counties, situated in close proximity to a Keystone Opportunity Zone, the airport complex consists of over 800 acres, including a 76,000 square foot terminal, runway, adjacent hangars for the fixed base operator, Tech Aviation, office facilities and airport land leased to a hotel/restaurant business.
Rail infrastructure is prevalent in the region, especially for rail freight. The Pennsylvania Northeast Regional Railroad Authority (PNRRA), formed by the recent merger of Lackawanna County Rail Authority and Monroe County Rail Authority, has preserved
rail lines that could have been lost to the region. PNRRA manages 95 miles servicing 29 key regional industries via its contractor, Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad.
Transportation Program- First Four Years (2013-2016)
To maintain and improve the existing transportation system in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MPO, several key transportation projects are included in first four years of the 2013-2024 Twelve Year Transportation Program. Some of these key projects include:
· Construction of the US 6 Lackawanna Trail Betterment project
· Construction of the PA 347 Dunmore Signal Network SAMI project
· Design, Utility, Right-of-way (ROW) and Construction of the SR 6011 Harrison Avenue Bridge
· Construction of the Wilkes-Barre Airport Access Road
· Construction of the PA 115 I-81 Exit 170 Improvements
· Construction of the PA 309 Rock Fence
· Construction of the SR 3046 South Valley Parkway
Transportation Program- Second Four Years (2017-2020)
Due to the cost and timing of projects in the first four years of the 2013-2024 Twelve Year Transportation Program, several projects will overlap and continue in the second four years of the Program. Some of these key projects include:
· Construction of the PA 348 Intersection Improvements
· Design, Utility and Construction of the PA 118 Cooks Store Intersection
· Construction of the PA 309 Steel Girder Bridge
Transportation Program- Interstate Transportation Projects
· Reconstruction of the Avoca (Exit 178) and I-81 Interchange in Avoca Borough, Luzerne County.