Transportation Program- First Four Years (2013-2016)
To maintain and improve the existing transportation system in the Johnstown MPO, several key transportation projects are included in first four years of the 2013-2024 Twelve Year Transportation Program. Some of these key projects include:
· Utility, Right-of-way (ROW) and Construction of the PA 53 Cresson High bridge
· Construction of the PA 56 Strayer Street Improvements
· Design, Utility, Right-of-way (ROW) and Construction of the US 219 / PA 553 Intersection SAMI project
· Design, Utility, Right-of-way (ROW) and Construction of the SR 7301 Hickory St. Bridge Rehabilitation project
· Construction of the SR 3024 Frankstown Wall and Resurfacing project
Transportation Program- Second Four Years (2017-2020)
Due to the cost and timing of projects in the first four years of the 2013-2024 Twelve Year Transportation Program, several projects will overlap and continue in the second four years of the
· Construction of the PA 36 Patton Chest Creek Bridge
· Construction of the PA 160 Laurel Run Bridges (1, 2 and 3)
· Construction of the PA 403 Moxham Stonycreek Bridge
The Johnstown Area Transportation Study (Johnstown MPO) includes all of Cambria County and two municipalities located in Somerset County (Paint Borough and Windber Borough). The urbanized area is centered around the City of Johnstown.
Major Corridors within the region include:
Major East-West Corridor
US 22, connecting to Altoona.
Major North-South Corridor
US 219, connecting with the Turnpike.
Mass transportation services are provided throughout Cambria County by both public and private carriers. The Cambria County Transit Authority (CamTran) is the principal mass transit carrier. CamTran provides fixed-route transit service in the Johnstown urbanized area and remainder of the County. The County-wide fixed route service is augmented with call-on-demand and paratransit services. CamTran also operates the Johnstown Inclined Plane serving local commuters and tourists.
Air transportation in Cambria County is provided by one commercial passenger airport and one general aviation facility. The John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport is the principal air transportation facility in the County. The Ebensburg Airport is a non-commercial general aviation facility.
The railroad infrastructure in Cambria County provides for both passenger and freight service. Amtrak provides daily east and westbound passenger service. CSX Transportation Inc. and Norfolk Southern Railway Co. are major rail freight carriers in the region.