PennDOT District 4 FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions

(See also our Glossary page)

Submit A Question or Customer Concern

Q. How can I learn more about a driveway permit or a hauling permit?

A. Send an email to our District 4 Permit Unit or see the link at left for more information. The address is

Q. What is "District 4?"

A. A District is a region of the state. PennDOT has divided the state into 11 Districts. Each has a District Executive who is in charge of all roads and bridges in their part of the state. District 4-0 covers 6 counties of Northeastern PA: Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne and Wyoming.

Q. What is the mailing address for the PennDOT District 4-0 office?

A. The District 4 Mailing address is: PennDOT DISTRICT 4-0, 55 Keystone Industrial Park, Dunmore, PA. 18512

Q. How many state roads and bridges are there in Northeastern Pennsylvania?

A. PennDOT District 4 is responsible for over 3500 miles of state roadways and 2100 state-controlled bridges.

Q. Where can I find a Rest Area or Welcome Center on the Interstates of Northeastern Pennsylvania?

A. Here is a list of Rest Areas:


  • Interstate 80 Eastbound, at White Haven, Luzerne County between the Mountain Top/ Hazleton Exit 262 (old 39) and the White Haven/ Freeland Exit 273 (old 40).


  • Interstate 81 Northbound at Dorrance, Luzerne County between the Dorrance Exit 155 (old 42) and the Nuangola Exit 159 (old 43)
  • Interstate 81 Southbound at Nuangola, Luzerne County between the Nuangola Exit 159 (old 43) and the Dorrance Exit 155 (old 42)
  • Interstate 81 Northbound at Tompkinsville, Lackawanna County between the Fleetville/ Tompkinsville Exit 202 (old 62) and the Glenwood/ Lenoxville Exit 206 (old 63)
  • Interstate 81 Southbound at Lenox, Susquehanna County between the Lenox Exit 211 (old 64) and the Glenwood/ Lenoxville Exit 206 (old 63). Rest Area
  • Interstate 81 Southbound at mile marker 231, just south of the Pennsylvania/N.Y. border: Welcome Center at Endless Mountains, Great Bend, Pa.


  • Interstate 84 Eastbound at Promised Lake, Pike County between the Greentown/ Lake Wallenpaupack Exit 20 (old 6) and the Tafton/ Promised Land State Park Exit 26 (old 7)
  • Interstate 84 Westbound at Promised Land, Pike County between the Tafton/ Promised Land State Park Exit 26 (old 7) and the Greentown/ Lake Wallenpaupack Exit 20 (old 6)
  • Interstate 84 at Matamoras, Pike County off the Matamoras Exit 53 (old 11), Rest Area and Welcome Center

Q. Where can I find a Park and Ride in Northeastern Pennsylvania?


  • Interstate 81 Dupont/Pittston
    (NORTHBOUND) Exit 175;
    (SOUTHBOUND) Exit 175A.
    Lot is on PA Route 315
  • Interstate 81 Mountain Top/ Wilkes Barre
    (NORTHBOUND) Exit 165A;
    (SOUTHBOUND) Exit 165.
    Lot is on PA Route 309
  • Interstate 81 Nanticoke Exit 164, then follow PA Route 29 to Exit 1
  • Interstate 84, Mt. Cobb/Hamlin Exit 8, Intersection of PA Routes 247 & 348.
  • US Route 6 (Casey Highway) Meredith Street Exit 6
  • US Route 6 (Casey Highway) Jessup/Mt. Cobb Exit 3

Q. How do I get my business logo on one of those blue highway signs?

A. The logo signs are controlled by the PA Logo SignTrust. Visit or contact PA Logo Sign Trust, 902 N 2nd St, Harrisburg PA 17102, at 717-232-8880 ext 100.

Q. How much salt do you put on the roads in the winter and what does it cost?

A. We use about 110,000 tons of salt each year on winter. However, in recent years, we have grown continually environmentally conscious. District 4 is successfully using various anti-skid materials, magnesium-based solutions as well as new technology that enables us to distribute salt evenly on the highways without it bouncing off onto the shoulder of the road. The result is more efefctive winter road-maintenance, savings on road-clearing materials, and less environmental contamination by salt.

Q. With all of the recent problems with aging bridges, how do Iknow that the bridge I am using is safe?

A. PennDOT Engineers do detailed inspections on about 1100 bridges each year within District 4-0, and many bridges on municipal roads are owned and maintained by PennDOT. In recent months, these efforts have been accelerated and new, more stringent criteria are being used for the inspections.

Q. Who cuts the grass along the state highways?

A. Both PennDOT crews and contractors hired by PennDOT cut the grass. PennDOT District 4-0 mows more than 1800 acres of roadsides and medians.

Q. Who is responsible for traffic signals?

A. Local municipalities own and maintain the signals, even those that are on state roads. The installation of signals must be approved by PennDOT. Once they are installed, the municipality assumes responsibility. In District 4-0, PennDOT has approved traffic signals for more than 500 intersections.

Q. How does someone request a traffic signal?

A. Contact your local municipality which purchases, erects, and maintains the signal.

Q. How do I get the timing of a traffic signal changed?

A. Contact the local municipality in which the traffic signal is located.

Q. Why is PennDOT involved with traffic signals on a municipal highway?

A. Permits are issued by PennDOT to erect traffic signals in order to insure uniformity of signal designation and operation.

Q. Who is responsible for speed limits?

A. Local municipalities and PennDOT are responsible for setting speed limits.

Q. How do I get the speed limit changed?

A. Contact your local municipality who will then request an engineering and traffic study to be done by PennDOT.

Q. What is the volume of traffic (ADT) on a road?

A. You may contact the Traffic Unit with the state route number and specified segments. State route numbers can be found on rectangular white signs with black letters posted along the state routes. You may also access this same information regarding ADTs on the website at this link:

Q. How can I get a student-walking route declared hazardous?

A. Only school districts may request a study of a student-walking route by contacting the District Traffic unit at (570) 963-4819 for information.

Q. Is it true that PennDOT is responsible for the rest areas and Welcome Centers on the interstates?

A. Yes, PennDOT District 4-0 has constructed and maintains six Rest Areas, 2 Welcome Centers and six Park and Ride lots.

Q. What are Red Detour, Black Detour, Green Detour and Blue Detour signs?

A. The color detours are predetermined detours to be used in case of an emergency (crash, weather, etc) that closes a section of the Interstate.

Q. What is Highway Advisory Radio (HAR)?

A. These are low-power AM radio stations that broadcast information for motorists, such as traffic congestion and special event information. They usually broadcast below 540kHz or above 1640 mHz. Signs like this are found on many highways.

Q. What is "right-of-way"?

A. All state roads, drainage ditches, pipes and other structures along with land adjacent to the roadway are located in the "Right of Way", state-owned or controlled land dedicated for the use of passage. PennDOT is permitted by the Commonwealth to use this land in order to maintain the roadway. The width of the Right-of-Way is usually 50 feet but varies along different state roads.

Q. Do I need to get a permit to put my driveway in?

A. If your driveway enters onto a state road, you will need a permit. In fact, any work not performed by PennDOT within the Right-of-Way requires a permit. Annually District 4-0 issues 2500 highway occupancy permits (for utilities, driveways and municipal roads) and 35,000 special hauling permits (for oversized vehicles to travel on state roads). To apply for a permit, contact our permit unit at (570) 963-4054

Q. How may I "Adopt-A-Highway"?

A. Over 600 volunteer groups have picked up about 160,000 bags of litter along more than 1100 miles of roadway in northeast PA over the past 12 years through the Adopt-A-Highway Program. Sections of roadway are still available. Concerned groups are urged to assist. You can contact Anna Fuhr at (570) 963-4010 or email

Visit the Adopt-A-Highway web page for more information.

Q. How can I report a problem on a state road?

A. Whether it's a pothole, a drainage problem or any other road concern you may call our Toll Free Hotline: 1-800-FIX-ROAD (1-800-349-7623). You can also fill out our Customer Care Center Form online. Your concern will be forwarded to the appropriate division and you will be able to track the response to your concern.

Q. How can I get information on road conditions and traffic alerts year-round?

A. Visit and sign up for traffic alerts under News Releases or email and request alerts by county and/or interstate.

Q. What about construction updates?

A. For the latest construction information in Northeastern Pennsylvania, visit the District 4 homepage at and follow the links for Interstate, Non-Interstate advisories, Travel Information.You also will find construction maps for the counties of District 4. For the commonwealth's online construction map, visit

Q. I didn't find the answer to my question on this page. Now what do I do?

A. You can submit your question by visiting our Customer Care Center online at or by calling the district office at (570) 963-4044 or emailing