Overview: The project includes updating electrical systems, lighting system, control system, ventilation system, structural repairs to the walls and arched ceiling, installation of a water line and other improvements. To minimize impacts on the traveling public, rehabilitation work on the bridge that carries the Parkway East over Commercial Street will be performed as part of the tunnel project. Expansion dam on ramps at the Edgewood Swissvale interchange (Exit 77) will also be replaced. Overall work will conclude in summer 2014.
Check out these links for more information on the history of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel as well as to learn more about the rehabilitation work scheduled for 2012-2014.
General Tunnel Data:
- Length: 4,225 feet
- Roadway: 2–12’-0” wide lanes each direction
- Barrier width: 3’-9” left side, 1’-7” right side
- Existing vertical clearance: 13’-6” (New Westbound clearance: 15'-6" and Eastbound: 14'-9")
- Date tunnel opend to traffic: June 5, 1953
- Last rehabilitation: 1983
There Will Be No Work Activities On The Squirrel Hill Tunnel Memorial Day Weekend, May 24-27
Single lane restrictions will occur weeknights (Monday-Thursday) according to the following schedule:
Westbound (inbound) – 9 p.m.-5 a.m.
Eastbound (outbound) – 10 p.m.-5 a.m.
The following closures are planned; however it is important to note this schedule is tentative and subject to change based on work progress and other variables:
· May 31-June 3, inbound closure
· June 7-10, inbound closure
Customer and Media Inquiries
- Media Inquiries: Steve Cowan | email@example.com | 412-429-5010
- Get construction updates and traffic advisories from PennDOT by sending email addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Subscribe-Parkway East” in the subject line.
- Construction Project Manager: Kevin Heilmann | email@example.com | 412-422-1694 ext116
- Assistant Construction Engineer: William Lester | firstname.lastname@example.org | 412-429-5052
- Project Design: Guy Rettura | email@example.com | 412-429-3787