|EVERY CITIZEN CAN HELP REDUCE UNDERAGE DRINKING BY CALLING THE HOTLINE #|
INDIANA, (October 11) - PennDOT Engineering District 10 would like to remind citizens that reporting underage drinking is as easy as picking up the phone and dialing the 1- 888-UNDER-21 hotline. The information you provide the hotline operator about underage drinking parties that are being planned or that are already in progress will be reported to the local police department that has jurisdiction. By getting involved, you could save a life.
Know the facts about underage drinking:
• Young people illegally consume almost 3.6 billion drinks annually and about 10 million drinks each day.
• 75 percent of eighth graders say it is "fairly easy" to get beer. Fifteen percent say it is just as easy to get liquor.
• The median age when children begin drinking is about 13.
• People who begin drinking before age 15 are four times more likely to develop alcohol dependence and more than twice as likely to abuse alcohol than those who delay drinking until age 21.
• Underage drinking is Pennsylvania's number one drug problem.
• Alcohol kills six times more youth than all illicit drugs combined.
• Underage drinking is illegal and costs Pennsylvanians $1.4 billion annually.
PennDOT asks parents, guardians and concerned citizens to be an extra eye and help stop underage drinking by calling and reporting offenders. Your efforts could save the life of somebody you love.