|"Work-Zone-Safety is the #1 issue"|
Indiana – PennDOT would like to remind motorists that many construction projects will remain active throughout the winter months.
"Motorists should use increased caution, stay alert and drive slowly through roadway construction zones. Work zones are constantly changing and motorists need to focus all of their attention on driving when traveling through these areas," said George McAuley, Assistant District Executive for Construction.
Here are some useful hints motorists can follow to improve safety while traveling through work zones:
- Be cautious and watch for snow removal equipment throughout the work zone
- Don't Eat or Drink
- Don't Speed – Reduce speed before entering a work zone. If other motorists are speeding, don't follow a bad example. Remember fines are doubled in work zones.
- Stay Alert – Dedicate full attention to the roadway. Remember somebody's loved one is working in the area.
- Pay Close Attention – Avoid distracting activities like adjusting the radio and operating or using cellular phones. Pay attention to road signs and pavement markings.
- Expect the Unexpected – Watch out, not only for road workers in the area, but also for construction equipment.
- Be Visible – Turn on Headlights (it's the law) to become more visible to road workers and other motorists.
- Be Prepared to Stop – Signs and work zone flaggers save lives.
- Don't Tailgate!
- Be Patient! – Remember the work crews are working to improve your future ride.
For more safety information visit the District 10's website at www.dot.state.pa.us or to report a highway concern call 1-800-FIX-ROAD.