|Indiana, PA (Oct. 25) – With snow already falling this year, PennDOT Engineering District 10 is reminding homeowners that it is not only unsafe to shovel snow from driveways onto State Roads, it is illegal. |
The following rules should be exercised when clearing snow from driveways:
- Do not shovel snow onto State Roads.
- Be cautious when working near a roadway.
- Shovel snow away from the roadway, not toward it.
- When clearing the end of the driveway, place snow to the right to prevent it from being plowed back into the driveway.
- Do not pile snow in areas that will block or obscure a driver's view of the roadway and oncoming vehicles.
- Keep children away from the roadway. Parents should also keep their children from playing on snow piles near the roadway that could be plowed during snow removal operations.
PennDOT crews take great pride and effort in keeping the State's transportation system safe for the people of Pennsylvania. Homeowners can do their part to help PennDOT do its job by not shoveling snow onto the roadway.
If customers have any winter maintenance concerns, they are asked to call 1-800 FIX ROAD for prompt service.