Bridge Design and Technology Division
This Division develops policies, criteria, and standards reflecting state-of-the-art practices in bridge and structure designs. Responsibilities include:
- Review and approval of all aspects of the bridge design process to ensure compliance with Department, AASHTO and FHWA design policies.
- Providing expert technical guidance to the Districts in complex bridge structure matters (including resolution of construction problems)
- Hydrologic and Hydraulic report review, and development/maintenance of the JPA System.
- Ensuring that District staff receives proper training in all phases of bridge engineering.
- Establishing engineering criteria and policies for bridge engineering computing software development and its acceptance testing.
- Maintains the Approved Bridge and Structural Products Database.
- Managing a variety of activities and operations pertaining to the Statewide Bridge Safety Inspection Program
- Ownership of the Bridge Management System (BMS)
- Support of the Automated Permitting Routing Analysis System (APRAS) for oversize overweight vehicles
|The Bridge Design and Technology Division also provides technical guidance for bridge research, bridge inspection training and certification, coordination with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), and a vital technical link with many national organizations, such as American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO), Transportation Research Board (TRB), and The National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP)|