Emergency Movement Authorization

In the event of an emergency or accident affecting the public safety or convenience, such as a train derailment, authorization for an overweight or oversize movement may be granted, in accordance with the following criteria:

1) APRAS Account Holders can obtain permits 24/7, by applying for an overweight or oversize Permit via the WEB using APRAS. WEB based applications are the quickest, most efficient and safest method. Approximately 80% of WEB based applications will be processed within one minute, on average.

2) Non Account Holders can either contact a Permit Service or PEMA at 717-651-2001.

3) If the necessity for an emergency movement arises between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., other than on legal holidays, Saturdays and Sundays, the owner of the transporting equipment or the owner’s agent shall, in advance of making a movement, contact PennDOT’s Engineering District office nearest to the point of entry or point of origin in this Commonwealth. In the case of a super load, the applicant shall contact the Central Permit Office to obtain authorization prior to movement.

4) For emergency movements at hours when the permit offices are closed, the owner of the transporting equipment shall, prior to making any movement, telephone the PEMA at 717-651-2001, and provide satisfactory information on the nature of the emergency, the vehicle to be permitted and the route of travel.

Hauling Account Registration Forms:

Permit Services: